It’s Valentine’s week, and that means many of us have our thoughts on our hearts and the hearts of our loved ones. Here are a few ways to keep your heart healthy this Valentine’s Day and all year round.
#1: Live an Active Life
One of the best ways to keep your heart healthy is to get your heart rate up on a regular basis. Ideally, you should be moving for at least 30 minutes a day, most days of the week. Making moderately intense exercise a part of your routine — whether that’s an exercise DVD collection, a brisk walking regimen, a jogging routine, or a class like Zumba — is a great way to keep your heart (and the rest of your body!) in great shape.
#2: Stick to a Healthy Diet
The old adage “You are what you eat” isn’t just a cute saying. Food is fuel for your body. So, as you can imagine, if you put mostly junk into it, you’re not going to get the best performance. If you stick to a diet of lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats (think olive oil or avocado), you’ll be on the right track.
And don’t worry — it’s OK to indulge every once in a while, too. Keep the 80/20 principle in mind. If you eat healthy and clean 80 percent of the time, the other 20 percent can be for those foods that you love but don’t quite fit under the heading of “healthy.”
#3: Make a Good Night’s Sleep a Priority
Sleep provides a host of necessary benefits for your brain and body. Your brain synthesizes memories when you sleep, and your body heals minor damage as well. When you are chronically underslept, you’re at risk for a lot of other problems, too. Sleep deprivation is associated with heart attacks, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity and depression.
Most adults need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep, so pick a bedtime that works with when you have to get up, and stick to it. Set a bedtime alarm if you have to. If you have trouble sleeping, don’t just deal with it — make an appointment with your doctor. Insomnia and sleep apnea are serious conditions, but they can be treated, so don’t wait to get on the path toward a better night’s sleep.
Taking Care of Your Heart at Infusion Express
One of the conditions we treat at Infusion Express is heart failure, so we’re invested in the heart health of all of our patients. If your doctor has prescribed IV therapy to treat congestive heart failure, know that you have options for when and where to receive your treatment.
We do IV treatment differently at Infusion Express by offering infusions in a spa-like environment at a time that works for you — including evenings and weekends. We believe feeling better should start when you walk in the door for your treatment, and we would love to show you how you can make IV therapy a convenient and enjoyable part of your life.
If you’re ready to experience the difference Infusion Express can make in your life, give us a call at either one of our two convenient locations in Lee’s Summit or Overland Park.