Winter months tend to be tough for those suffering from eczema, but summertime has its challenges too. And for some, eczema flare-ups may be even worse during the hotter months.
Summer Eczema Triggers
Knowing what triggers your eczema can help you to avoid those triggers and/or find solutions to counteract them. The most common eczema problems are the following:
- Sweat – While sweat is the body’s natural way of cooling off in hot weather, the trace amounts of minerals (sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium and more) can irritate the skin.
- Water – Too much water can cause problems for people with eczema. The parts of the body that stay too damp — inner elbows, the backs of knees, necks — can be irritated by pooled water and its chemicals.
- Heat – Warmer temperatures cause two issues for those with eczema. Firstly, in an effort to cool off, blood vessels dilate and potentially attract inflammatory cells toward the skin. Secondly, heat triggers itching.
- Chemicals and Creams – Spending time in the pool may be irritating to your skin, as can sunscreen. Additionally, some people have trouble with their sweat glands becoming blocked.
How to Prevent Summer Eczema Flares
- Stay Cool – On hot days, you may need to stay inside in a climate-controlled environment. If you do need to go outside, try to avoid doing so during the hottest hours of the day, between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Stay Hydrated – Your skin gets the water it needs from the inside out, so make sure you’re drinking plenty of water. Staying hydrated will also help your body regulate its temperature.
- Stay Clean – Make sure you wipe away accumulated sweat, especially in skin folds, using paper wipes or a clean towel. Wash with gentle soap (look for fragrance free varieties made for sensitive skin or even those specifically for eczema sufferers), especially after swimming. Apply moisturizer made for people with eczema after bathing.
- Stay Current with Treatments – If you’re on medication or receive IV treatments for eczema, don’t skip them during the summer.
Eczema Treatment at Infusion Express
If IV infusions are a part of your eczema treatment plan, then consider scheduling your next appointment at Infusion Express. Infusion Express makes it possible for you to get your treatment on your own schedule with the comforts of home at any of our offices. You can receive your IV treatment while catching up on your favorite TV shows on our HDTVs, digging into the latest hit novel on our eReaders, or by simply hanging out with friends or family in your own private room. You can bring your laptop and work if you’re on a tight deadline at work, or you can even bring your spouse and call it a date! It’s the right care at the right place to get your health on track.
We’re invested in helping you live your best life, so we offer appointments during days, evenings and on Saturdays at any of our convenient locations. If you’re ready to experience the difference Infusion Express can make in your life, give us a call at any of our locations.